Baked Ziti is a great recipe for a crowd of people, pasta is affordable and a favorite for a lot of people. You can also make this gluten free by using gluten free pasta. You may have to use another type of pasta, and this dish would still be delicious (however, I don’t recommend spaghetti for this dish).
The ingredients: Pasta Sauce, Mozzarella, Ricotta, Ziti and Bread (for the side). You won’t need the Parmesan for the recipe but people may want to sprinkle it on the top. Getting two garlic bread loafs from the store will be sufficient for 30 people. You can cook them below pasta for the last 10 minutes of cooking. They will be done 5-10 minutes after the pasta.
Cook the pasta, reserve 1 and 1/2 cups of the pasta water for the sauce. Put the pasta in a large catering tray.
Make the sauce. Add the reserved pasta water, marinara sauce, ricotta cheese and 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, mix as the cheese melts. Keep stirring to avoid the cheese burning on the bottom of the pot.
When the sauce is warm throughout, pour it on top of the pasta. Mix the sauce in with the pasta, making sure that all the pasta is completely covered (even the pasta on the very bottom). This step may be a bit messy, but it is needed.
Sprinkle the rest of the Mozzarella cheese on top of the pasta.
Cover with foil. Put in the oven for 40 minutes, uncovering the pasta for the last 10 minutes.
Serve with iceberg lettuce and some garlic bread.
- Large Metal Disposable Catering Tray
- 3 pounds Ziti Pasta
- 32 ounces Ricotta Cheese
- Large Can of Marinara Sauce (6lbs 9 oz)
- 1 and 1/2 Cup Reserved Pasta Water
- 8 Cups (2lbs) Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook all the pasta, reserve 1 and 1/2 cup pasta water
- Put the pasta water, marinara sauce, ricotta cheese and 2 cups of mozzarella cheese in a large saucepan. Cook until all the cheese is melted.
- Combine the pasta and the sauce in a large catering tray.
- Sprinkle the remaining six cups of mozzarella cheese over the pasta.
- Cover with foil.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the pasta, cook for an additional 10 minutes.